Thought I’d better get a wriggle on with my planned work on Macavity for this year. Spent most of the available “good weather weekends” this winter sorting out the project dinghy, so haven’t really started on the big girl yet. As always, I have prepared a massively optimistic wish list of modifications and upgrades that I can choose from. Some jobs are going to be inside and some outside so I should be able to do something whatever the weather. I’ve also commandeered the spare bedroom for the vital varnishing or painting of smaller items such as shelves.
So far I’ve made good progress on my plan to relocate the main batteries to a much more sensible position under the quarter berths. This will move the not inconsiderable weight of these lumps of lead two foot lower and over the keels, where they will be helping stability rather than fighting it. I wanted the batteries to be housed in proper acid spill proof boxes (fairly cheap deals on ebay), and securely strapped down. To this end, I made up a couple of ply shelves which fit nicely into the bottom of the lockers and used a big hole saw to cut some location points for the straps. The shelves are now painted with danboline and ready to be bolted into place.
I already have a large battery changeover switch that I picked up a couple of years ago for a few quid. This fella will go in the companionway locker where the battery had been sited until now. The locker is really a pre made glass fibre box glued in place by Westerly to form the bridge deck. When I looked closer, I noticed that the tabbing fixing it in place had let go in a few places. Having slept on it for a night or two, I decided it would be best to grind off the remaining tabbing and fix the thing in place properly again with new glass and west epoxy. It seems to me that this box is probably structural as it forms the only “bridge” across the boat at the hatchway area and bonds the quarter berth mouldings to the cockpit and hull mouldings. I layed up three layers of glass both inside the locker and underneath, I’m really pleased with the results.
I remember getting quite annoyed last year with my navigation equipment. Pencils, dividers and plotters would roll about all over the boat whilst underway and I could never bloody well find them when I needed them. A simple bar of wood with some holes drilled in it would be enough to relieve me of this quite unnecessary stress….. so I made two. One can live under the cooker shelf for spare pencils, dividers, etc; the other can be screwed to the port bulkhead just inside the cabin where I can grab easily from outside.
Got carried away and scrubbed the remaining lockers clean with this marvelous mildew remover that I’ve found, it really is the business this stuff, but you need to have plenty of ventilation.
I was wheezing like old Albert Steptoe by the time I’d finished, rekon it releases a fair bit of chlorine whilst it’s working. They then looked clean but a bit patchy, so I painted them with grey danboline. Big difference, won’t be scared of actually putting stuff in them this year.